Thursday, June 14, 2012

Almah Christine Nordeen

I have a very special treasure, a black tin box, which belonged to my Great Aunt Mary.  The box contains all sorts of wonders, a window into the past, and something so special, my Grandmother Almah's birth certificate  My grandmother was born in Kansas City, Missouri on June 16, 1888. She was the second daughter born to her parents, Augusta & John Gustaf Nordeen and the first generation of her Swedish-born parents to be born in the United States.  My childhood memories of my grandmother, my hand in hers, walking to the nearby cafe for a root-beer float.  I'm again, a little blond girl walking through her flower garden with her naming all the flowers in her garden, Sweet William, Pinks and bright red Salvia surrounding the Catalpa tree in her front yard. And our Sunday's at the North Kitsap Baptist Church, my heart is again with my adored Grandmother Almah.  I can hear her voice next to me "Sweet Hour of Prayer, Sweet Hour of Prayer, that calls me from a world of care, and bids me at my Father's throne, make all my wants & wishes known." My Vintage Jewel black box of memories .  Happy Birthday to you, my dear Grandmother Almah.  I loved you so------

2 comments:

  1. I love your "true stories" what a beautiful heritage! May we by God's pure grace pass on such special, lasting "true stories!" ~k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful memory... You write so wonderfully, makes me feel like I'm there also - thinking you should write a book...it would be a best seller!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Dory

    ReplyDelete